If it has come time for you to leave Quebec to return to your country of origin or move on to another city, make sure that when you go about closing your bank account in Quebec, it is done properly. Avoid any confusion, unnecessary fees, or any unpaid balances.
Photo Credit: Wikihow
Your first step will be to open a new account in your country of origin before you close your account in Quebec, if you do not already have one open.
Next, stop using your account about a week before you want to go close it in Quebec. This will ensure any pending transactions have been paid or deposited, and that there are no outstanding payments. It is a good idea to check your online banking account for any automatic payments, outstanding payments, deposits, etc. If you do not have online banking setup, you can call the bank or go in and talk to a bank manager.
The last step is to make an appointment at the bank to close your bank account in Quebec. If you cannot go to the bank in person due to time constraints or other personal reasons, you will need to write a letter clearly outlining your intention to close your bank account. This should include:
- You name (or both names if it is a joint account),
- Phone number and/or email address, in case they need to contact you,
- Account number of the account you want to close,
- If there is still a balance in your account, request that they send it to you by certified bank check.
- Include a request for confirmation from them (either by email or mail) when your account has been successfully closed.
- If you have overdraft protection on your account, be sure that it is made inactive before closing your bank account in Quebec.
- Cut, shred and destroy any checks, debit or credit cards, to ensure that you do not use them by accident.
- Keep in your files the confirmation letter from the bank, which will state that your account has been closed. This way you can avoid any confusion, and have proof of the date of closure if it is ever needed.
- If you have a credit card with a bank in Canada, stop using it and pay if off in full before you cancel it.