Getting your kids to school can be a hassle when you work full time, or you only have one car. In Quebec, about 60 per cent of school children take the bus, and while it is ultimately up to you if you want to drop off and pick up your children, it can be a great option for any family. The school bus in Quebec is organized by the school boards in the province, as well as other educational establishments. It’s funded by the Ministry of Education, and executed by commissioned private companies, while the Ministry of Transportation oversees all safety aspects.
Credit: Dominic Hargreaves via Wikimedia Commons
Riding the school bus basics
- To keep safe, your children should always wait on the sidewalk, and if there isn’t a sidewalk, they’ll need to walk on the left side of the road, which faces the traffic.
- Your children need to wait in line at the bus stop, and when the bus has come to a full stop, enter in an orderly fashion.
- School busses in Quebec don’t have seat belts, but Transport Canada found in a study that this actually decreased the risk of serious head and/or neck injuries in the case of a head-on crash.
- Depending on where you live, the pickup and dropoff times will differ.
- Often, the school bus in will pick up and drop your children off right outside your door.
- The bus comes at a set time every day, which makes setting a morning schedule much easier.
- You know your children will arrive at school on time.
- It gives your children a great opportunity to make friends on trips to and from school.
- You will save on the cost of gas.
- There is little (or sometimes no) cost for your children to take the bus.
- When your child gets on and off the bus, all cars are required to stop until the bus turns off its red flashing lights, making it safe for road crossing.
- If you or your children are running late the school bus will not wait.
- If your children have before-or-after-school activities, taking this bus on those days is not a viable option, as it comes at a set time.
- The bus stop may be quite a walk from your home
From all of us here at Settle-in.com, we hope that the school bus in Quebec will be helpful to you and your family.
Want to learn more about all things education in Quebec? Sign up for Settle-in.com and get full access to “The Guide.” Read the “Education” and “Transportation” chapters for more information on this subject.